Teochew-Style Steamed Pomfret is something I often eat at home when I was young. I'm a Teochew, by the way. ;)
My husband has high cholesterol hence I try not to use Pomfret in my cooking. Since the kids love Cod a lot, I usually use Cod. This way, everyone will get to enjoy it and I don't have to prepare different dishes for different people, which is what I usually do.
I would love to use Pomfret here as the meat is fine and soft. If you do you have any restriction, go ahead to use Pomfret for the recipe.
- 2 slice Cod
- 1 Tomato or 8 Cherry Tomatoes, sliced thickly
- 8 stalk Spring Onion, whites part only, cut into smaller sections
- 2 slice Ginger
- 1 leaf Salted Vegetable, about 2 tablespoon full when diced
- A handful Shimeji Mushroom
- 1 Salted Plum, pitted and cut into 4 pieces if sharing.
- 1 teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 100ml Water
- Some Wolfberries (optional)
How to do it:
- Divide all ingredients into 2 portions.
- Place individual portion separately in 2 plates.
- Steam for 7 to 9 minutes depending on the size of the cod used.
- Serve immediately.
- Shimeji mushroom can be replaced with the Fresh Shitake Mushroom or traditionally used dried mushroom.
- If using dried mushroom, rehydrate 1 to 2 mushroom before using.