My husband travels once or twice a month for work. When he is away, I usually cook simple one-pot dinner for me and the kids.
During a day on his last trip, I decided to cook some dishes to go with rice, mainly because I found big short-neck clams selling at a mini mart, and they are the kids' favourite.
I had this terrible craving for Hot and Sour soup for days due to the hot weather. Hence, I cooked a small portion of it for myself. (Yes, I bothered to do that! :P)
There isn't soup for the kids, so I cooked the clams in broth, which I will be sharing the recipe. There is lots of sauce for the Steamed Cod too. So no problems for the kids to go with their rice. Then I realised, no greens! Opps!
This is a very simple cheat Hot and Spicy recipe that I'm sharing, just to curb my cravings. ;)
- 500ml Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Black Vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cornflour Mixture (thickener)
- Chilli Oil
A small amount each of the followings:
- Chicken Breast meat, cooked and shredded
- Black Wood Ear aka Black Fungus, shredded
- Bamboo Shoots, shredded
- Carrot, shredded
- Shitake Mushroom, sliced
- Tofu, cut into strips
How to do it:
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Add in the ingredients except for the tofu.Put all the shredded ingredients in the broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add the vinegar, light soy sauce and pepper.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add in the tofu and continue to simmer for a minute.
- Gradually add in the cornflour mixture to achieve your desire thickness.
- Add some chilli oil and serve.
- I usually use ground black pepper but I ran out of it so I used white pepper powder instead.
- Adjust the amount of black vinegar according to your liking.
- The ingredients used and the amount used for the soup are to your preference but Black Fungus, Bamboo Shoots and Mushrooms are a must for me. They add the crunch for the soup.