Last week I dropped my mobile phone and the screen cracked. Such luck! I was only able to send it for repairs 2 days ago after the Teachers-Parents Conference. After that, I rushed to get butter and flour to make cookies for Teachers' Day. I should have planned earlier but my mind was in a blank.
As I was rushing for time, I didn't get the kids to be involved. I just gave them so fancy papers to make cards for their teachers.
I made some plain shortbread cookies and some with sugar sprinkles. Personally, I preferred the ones with sugar sprinkles as they are sweeter. :P If you would like a sweeter plain cookies, increase the amount of sugar used. I was lazy to make 2 dough and just make 1 dough with lesser sugar (as stated in my recipe below).
- 500g Butter, softened
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 170g Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 675g Plain Flour
- 75g Rice Flour
- Demerara Sugar or Coloured Sugar Sprinkles
How to do it:
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy.
- Add flour and beat on low speed till just combined.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth.
- Divide dough into 3-4 portions.
- Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of baking paper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut shapes out with cookie cutters.
- Sprinkle with Demerara or Coloured sugar.
- Prick with fork (optional).
- Place cut out dough apart as they will expand during baking.
- Baked in the preheated oven at 150C for 25 minutes or till they turn pale yellow.
- Stand the shortbread on tray for 2 minutes.
- Cool on wired rack and store in airtight container.