I made this last week when the weather was unbearable. Usually, I'll just boil the lemongrass and sweeten it with sugar but I wanted the kids to drink it so I used honey instead this time.
Personally, I prefer sweetening it with sugar or rock sugar as honey sort of mask the smell and taste of the lemongrass.
My suggestion is, if you have a sore throat or suspect you are going to have one, you might want to use honey. I help soothe it. Use sugar instead if you just want to make yourself a refreshing drink,
- 7 stalks Lemongrass, cleaned cut into 3 sections
- 1 litre Water
- Half a Lemon, slice
- Sugar, Rock Sugar or Honey to taste
How to do it:
- Smash lemongrass to help release flavour during boiling.
- Place lemongrass in a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to simmer for half an hour.
- Drain and discard the lemongrass.
- Sweeten with sugar, rock sugar or honey.
- Serve it warm or chilled with lemon slices.
If you prefer a more tangy drink, squeeze some lemon juice before serving.