This is one of my favourites. I can eat this with anything. It is very easy to make but take a lot of patience cos cooking it may takes up to an hour with the amount of onions before cooking reduced to less than half at the end of cooking.
- 6 Red Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar or Maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- Water, broth or wine (optional)
How to do it:
- Heat pan with oil.
- Add in all the onion and stir-fry till onions are well coated with oil.
- Continue cooking till onion has softened.
- Add in salt and sugar or maple if using and stir well.
- Spread out the onion and let it cook on medium low heat.
- Stir once a while (abt every few minute) only to prevent it from sticking and burning. If you keep stirring, it will not brown and caramelised.
- If the onions are sticking, add a little water to deglaze it. You can use wine or broth instead if you like.
- Continue cooking till onions turned darker and darker and to a texture to your desire.
- Dish and serve, here with sausages.