This was in my draft folder since January this year! :P I might have thought that I have published it and this could be a duplicate. O_o
Roasted Chestnuts has always being my favourite and my sister's too I think. I couldn't resist buying if I see or smell it. I will follow the aroma to get to it! However, you don't get to see roasted chestnuts very often.
These homemade one can't beat those roasted with those small burned stones which help roast the chestnuts evenly. Nonetheless, this will do till I get my hands on the "professionally" done ones. ;)
- 400g Raw Chestnut, washed, cleaned and dried
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 100ml Water
- 1-2 tablespoon White Sugar
How to do it:
- Slit chestnut carefully with a sharp pointed knife to prevent 'explosions' during cooking.
- Pan toast the chestnut on medium low heat for 5 mins to dry them.
- Remove and toss chestnut in oil to coat evenly.
- Return to pan and roast for 15 mins covered.
- Remove the cover and stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, melt sugar in water by simmering it.
- Add sugar solution to the pan.
- Continue to let the chestnuts to cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent burning (like me :P) until the water evaporates and the chestnuts are tender.
- Peel and eat while it's hot!