Minestrone is one of my favourite western soup. Usually I will add macaroni in it for my second meal and that makes a very filling meal. I'm using french loaf here to make the garlic toast as it will soften when it's dipped into the soup and it soak up the soup better then bread or bun.
I have shared both the recipes for Minestrone and the Garlic Bread here before. For easy reference, I'm re-posting the recipes with minor tweaks for both recipes.
- 1.2 litre Chicken Broth
- 2-3 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 stick Celery, diced
- 1 Potato, skinned and diced
- 1 Carrot, skinned and diced
- 1 Onion, skinned and diced
- 5 French Bean, diced
- 4-5 leaf Cabbage, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Pepper and salt to taste
How to do it:
- Heat a little oil and saute onion and celery till slightly soften.
- Add in potato, carrot, french bean and cabbage.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except for pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes till vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Size of the veggies used, ie, potato, carrot and onion, depends on your preference. If you not going to eat much of the veggies, get smaller size veggies.
- Add more tomato paste if you prefer the soup to be to be thicker.
- French Loaf, sliced
- 4 tablespoon Butter, Soften
- 16 clove Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Parsley (optional)
How to do it:
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- Cut the base (hard part) of garlic, leave the skin on.
- Toast slice french loft and garlic for 12 mins.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the garlic out from the skin and smash into paste like.
- Add the garlic to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Spread on toasted sliced french loaf.
- Toast for 10 to 15 mins.
- Pre-toast the french loaf to make it dry so it will stay crunchy.
- Time required depends on how thick the slices are.
- Toast it again if you feel that it's still soft in the middle.
- Store un-used french loaf in air-tight container till stated expiry date.
- You can grate fresh garlic into paste like instead of toasting it if you like.
- You can also mix some Parmesan Cheese to the Garlic Mixture.