I bought a bought of Ebiko for Steamed Egg Custard and since I do not wish to keep them, I decided to finished them by making this dish. This is adapted from my recipe, Hotate Mentaiyaki.
Instead of using Hotate (Scallop), I used prawns instead. In the Hotate Mentaiyaki recipe, Tobiko was used instead of Ebiko. Either one works.
I'm re-posting the recipe here for easy reference.
- 4 large Prawn
- 1 slice Cheese, cut into 4 strips
- 3-4 tablespoon Ebiko or Tobiko
- 4-5 tablespoon Japanese Mayonnaise
- Additional Mayonnaise for toppings (optional)
How to do it:
- Prepare prawns by cut the back of the shells with scissor.
- Slit and half the prawns taking care not to cut thru the bottom of the shells.
- Wash, clean and remove the intestinal tact at this moment.
- Gently but firmly press open the shells to each side so it's flat.
- Pat dry and set aside.
- Mix mayonnaise with ebiko together.
- Place prawns in baking dish.
- Top each prawn with a piece of cheese each.
- Cover and spread with Mayonnaise mixture.
- Grill in preheated oven at 220C for 5 minutes.
- Remove and top with more mayonnaise if you like and grill for another 5 minutes or till mayonnaise mixture starts to bubble.
- Removeand serve immediately.
- The amount of mayonnaise used depends on the size of prawns.
- Do not add seasoning as the mayo, cheese and ebiko already give the seasoning it needs.
- The amount of time needed to for baking depends on the size of the prawn . Shorter time for smaller prawns. It should be done when you see the mayo toppings bubbling gently.