I did this dish sometime back using frozen razor clams I bought from the supermarket. It was really cheap, 500g a pack for under $9.00.
This is another quick and easy dish which I tweak a little from my Steamed Scallop recipe.
- 2 Razor Clams (I'm using frozen ones)
- 1-2 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 20g Vermicelli, soaked to soften
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- A pinch of Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Chicken Powder
- 20ml Water
- 2 tablespoon Oil
How to do it:
- Dab clams dry with kitchen paper.
- Marinade clams with salt and sugar.
- Place soften vermicelli in a dish.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and saute the garlic till fragrant but not brown.
- Dish garlic with oil into a bowl.
- Scatter 1/3 of the garlic on the vermicelli.
- Place the clams on the vermicelli.
- Mix chicken powder with water and pour over clams.
- Top the clams with the remaining garlic.
- Steam for 5-7 minutes or till done.
- Drizzle garlic oil over and serve.
- Do not overcook the clams as it will become tough.
- As the clams do not produce as much liquid as Scallops does, during cooking, I have added water with chicken powder. This is done so that the vermicelli will be more flavourful.
- You can replace the water and chicken powder with chicken broth instead.
- The vermicelli is not garnish. It will absorb all the sauce that comes from the steaming. So don't waste it, have it together with the clams.