This is a combination of clams in clear soup and miso soup. It is one of the soups I love to order when I dine-in at Japanese Restaurants but tried not too because it's not worth it. :P
I'm using instant dashi powder here for the stock. You can get kombu and bonito flakes to make your own dashi stock. The recipe can be found HERE.
- 400ml Dashi Soup Stock or Water with 1 teaspoon instant Dashi Powder
- 200g Clams, (short neck clams were used here)
- 1 tablespoon Miso paste or to taste
How to do it:
- Scrub and clean clams.
- Soak the clams in the salted water for an hour to let the clams spit out any sand.
- Put dashi soup stock and clams in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and skim off any foam.
- Drain the clams from the stock and discard any clams that did not open.
- You might want to filter the stock to remove any sand from the clams that were not removed during initial soaking.
- Return the stock to the pot and bring it to a gentle simmer.
- Dissolve the miso paste in the stock and turn off the heat.
- Place clams in bowls and pour miso soup over.
- If you find the extra steps (5-7) troublesome, just pick up the clams that remain closed and continue with step 8.