I get quite a few queries about Shark's Fin Soup just before Chinese New Year. Yes, I know there are many people who are against eating Shark's Fin. I won't pretend to be righteous here. If I'm being served a bowl of shark's fin soup, I'll eat it. It's worst to waste food.
I too think it's cruel to slice off the fins of sharks and throw them back to the sea to let them die slowly. But I find the way geese are raised for their livers cruel too. I wont stop anyone from eating anything they like or want. Different people have different cultures, different views and different eating preference. Unless Shark's Fin is banned or fishermen are banned for fishing it, you will continue to see people buying or eating it.
Anyways, this recipe doesn't contain Shark's Fin (happy?) Here's my
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 600ml Water
- 500g Crab Meat, defrost and drained
- 30g Dried Scallop, soak to soften and shredded
- 2 Egg White, beaten
- 2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1 teaspoon Chicken Powder
- Salt to taste
- Corn Flour Mixture To thicken the soup
How to do it:
- Bring the chicken stock and water to a boil.
- Add in crab meat and shredded scallops
- Bring to a simmer.
- Season with Chinese cooking Wine, oyster sauce and chicken powder.
- Thicken with corn flour mixture.
- Turn of fire and stir-in egg white.
- Add salt to taste.
- You may wish to set aside some shredded dried scallop and top some on the soup just before serving.
- If you really had to add in real or imitation shark's fins, steamed them in chicken stock for 20 mins.
- Either add them into the soup before thickening with corn flour mixture (Step5) or top it just before serving, like the dried scallops.