Those who has been to some Japanese Restaurants might be familiar with Hotate Mentaiyaki. It's scallop baked with fish roe in mayonnaise. Well, at least that's what it taste like to me.
I have attempted to replicate it and was a success!
I bought my half shell scallops from the supermarket. It came with scallop roe too. You can use regular scallops and baked them in a oven proof dish. It's so easy (& tasty), you got to try it yourself!
- 4 Scallops, clean and pat dry with paper towel
- 1 slice Cheese, cut into 4 squares
- 3 tablespoon Tobiko aka Flying-fish Roe
- 4-5 tablespoon Japanese Mayonnaise
- Dried Parsley & Parmesan Cheese for toppings (optional)
How to do it:
- Mix Mayonnaise with Tobiko together.
- Place scallops in the shells or baking dish.
- Top each scallops with a piece of cheese each.
- Cover the scallops and cheese with Mayonnaise mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven at 210C for 12 minutes.
- Remove carefully and serve immediately.
- The amount of mayonnaise used depends on the size of scallops. The one I'm using is about 5cm in diameter.
- You can use Ebiko aka Shrimp Roe instead of Tobiko.
- Do not add seasoning as the mayo, cheese and tobiko already give the seasoning it needs.
- The amount of time needed to for baking depends on the size of the scallop. Shorter time for smaller scallops. It should be done when you see the mayo toppings bubbling gently.