AdSense

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Garlic Fried Rice


I had to re-do my blog again as I was informed that it was 'out of sort'. It seems that the side widgets are all over the place. It was fine viewing from my computer. Hopefully, it's proper now and do let me know if you find it taking an unreasonable time to load. Thanks!

This is my son's current 'favourite dinner'. He as been asking me to cook fried rice almost everyday last week. This is the base of the fried rice and I'll add other ingredients, like sausages, beans, carrots, corn, peas, etc to it. This meant, he had different fried rice everyday; in a way. ;)

Ingredients:
  • 1 bowl of cooked rice
  • 4 tablespoon Oil
  • 4 clove Garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 Egg

Seasoning
  • 1/4 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon Fish Sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • A dash of pepper and ground black pepper

How to do it:
  1. Add oil and garlic in wok.
  2. Fry garlic while oil is heating. This prevent the garlic getting burn to fast and the oil will more fragrant.
  3. Drain garlic once it's lightly golden and set aside.
  4. Using the same oil for frying the garlic, add in the rice.
  5. Stir in the seasoning.
  6. Toss and fry well till the rice is well combined with the seasoning and heated.
  7. Break the egg on the rice and quickly stir fry to mix the rice and egg well.
  8. Continue frying till egg is cooked and rice is dry.
  9. Add in the fry garlic and toss to combine.
  10. Dish and serve.
Note:
  • What you see here is freshly cooked rice. I don't use overnight rice because we prefer rice that's softer. You can use overnight rice if you prefer.
  • If you want to add meat or veggies, stir-fry them after frying the garlic. Dish out and set aside. Add into your rice after step 8.

* Garlic Fried with Sakura Ebi*

13 comments:

  1. Wow, my hubby will definitely love this for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm a 'rice barrel' and your fried rice simply looks yummy and easy to cook. Shall try it out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    If I don't use fish sauce, is it ok?

    Sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe instead of using 4 cloves of garlic i could use an organic garlic powder that i found online at cheforganics.com same strong flavour and just as healthy but minus all the work of having to chop it hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. if we dont have fish sauce, what can we replace it with? thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sweetheart, You can leave out fish sauce but it won't taste the same.

    @Anonymous, I would prefer to use the garlic clove cause the idea is to be able to bite into some as you eat the rice too. Btw, you are not plugin your site here are you? ;)

    @Adeline & Sharin, I'm afraid there isn't a replacement for fish sauce. Sometimes I use Maggie Soy Sauce but gives a totally different taste though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came across your site. Been browsing through and the tips were useful! I'd like to ask though - won't putting the egg on top of the rice make the rice soggy? It happened to me before & I've always been told since to fry the egg separately first. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Khal, I love to crack the egg on the rice or pour the beaten egg on the rice. You have to cook fast to mix the egg with the rice. It makes the rice look golden yellow. I don't find the rice soggy though. Did you have the heat on med high?
    Egg cook faster than the rice can absorb it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. just tried this recipe, it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Throw a steamed sunnyside up egg on top after.... awesome!

    ReplyDelete