AdSense

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Curry Vegetables
咖喱菜


Curry Vegetables is one of my favourite dish. I love it with rice, noodle, even on it's own. I stopped having it so often when my cholesterol level increased. :p I tried replacing the coconut milk with other alternatives. It just doesn't taste as good.

Ingredients:
  • 600ml Water or Stock
  • 150g Yam Bean aka Jicama Bang Kwang (豆薯), skinned and cut into sticks
  • 100g Cabbage, cut
  • 1 large Carrot, skinned and cut
  • 5 Long Beans, cut into section
  • Dried Beancurd (豆包) or Firm Beancurd (豆干)
  • 500ml Coconut Milk
  • Salt to taste

Grind into paste:
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dried Shrimp, soaked to soften
  • 5 Dried Chilli, soaked to softened before hand
  • 10 Shallot
  • 3 clove Garlic
  • 1 stalk Lemon Grass (white part only), sliced thinly
  • 3 Candlenuts aka Buah Keras
  • 7g Turmeric aka Kunyit
  • 15g Galangal aka Lengkuas

How to do it:
  1. Heat a tablespoon of oil and stir fry paste till fragrant.
  2. Add in stock and bring to a gentle boil.
  3. Add in all the vegetables.
  4. Bring to a boil.
  5. Gradually stir in the coconut milk.
  6. Continue to simmer till the vegetables are cooked and softened to your liking.
  7. Add salt to taste.
 

10 comments:

  1. We call this sayur lodeh in Peranakan language rather than curry and try using evaporated milk, we use that in my house because cholestrol and my family don't get along too well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this recipe. It will be the first thing I cook when I remove my braces (now cannot eat curry because tumeric will stain the brackets of my braces). I really love 咖喱菜 and I like the fact that you grind your own curry paste. Drooling non stop :)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi WM, thank you for your recipe, it came at the right time. I was jealous when my hb said xxx's sayur lodeh is delicious!! X< (It is hard for the word "delicious" or "not bad" to come from him). So I am definitely going to try this out next week and show him that I can cook this just as good too! Can't do it sooner coz we had curry fish head tonite.

    So just wait and see...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really awesome and savory. I might have to make it for dinner tonight. My food processor is awesome for making pastes like that. Nice that it's got shrimp in it. Thanks for an amazing recipe and post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I think Evarporated Milk is higher in fat than coconut milk, so I wouldn't recommend substituting it for that if your family has high cholestrol. Add some more spices as they contain good antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinn, We didn't like it with evaporated milk. We don't eat this so often so I guess it's ok to use coconut milk. :P

    Noobcook, Hope you will like it when you do cook this. :)

    Phoebeluv, Hahaha ... I'm sure yours will be better! :) Curry fish head! Wow!! Must share!

    Elana, Thanks!

    Chinese Restaurants, I didn't know Evarporated Milk is higher in fat than coconut milk. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi WM, I tried this on Wed and WE LOVE IT!! I also added a bit of fresh ginger (pounded) and a tsp of belachan....Yumm! Thanks once again for this wonderful recipe....hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. phoebeluv, So your hubby now knows you are better eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WM, not me good...all credit goes to you. i told him your recipes are all very reliable and no need to test, surely pass....hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. phoebeluv has left a new comment on your post "Curry Vegetables 咖喱菜":

    WM, not me good...all credit goes to you. i told him your recipes are all very reliable and no need to test, surely pass....hehehehe

    Sorry I have a problem publishing your comment.

    Thank you. You are too kind. You are the one cooking. Maybe out taste in food is similar. ;)

    ReplyDelete