This is one of the many earlier dishes I wanted to share last year.
It's really easy and fast to prepare. There's an alternative which I will be sharing too. This is one of the dishes I had consider making for Chinese New Year but it is one of the dishes that my MIL refused to even taste when she was staying with us. Haiz. I didn't want to put her in a difficult position so I didn't ask her why she didn't try it when she said, 很好吃 (tasty). Haiz.
Cooking for adults are so much more difficult that cooking for children. Especially, when the person used to cook really well.
Here's my recipe if you are interested to try out.
- 100g Minced Pork or Chicken
- 100g Minced Prawn
- 2 tubes Egg Tofu
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Cooking Wine
- 1/3 teaspoon Sugar
- A dash of Sesame Seed Oil
- Tobiko (optional)
Sauce to mix well:
- 2 tablespoon Water or Chicken Stock
- 1/3 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Chinese Cooking Wine
How to do it:
- Slice tofu into 6 pieces.
- Gently scoop some tofu out from the center.
- Mix the scooped out tofu, minced pork and prawn together.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon of light soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine each into the meat and mix well.
- Top tofu with a heap of minced meat.
- Sprinkle on some tobiko if you like. Use finely chopped carrot if tobiko is not available.
- Steam for 7 minutes.
- Remove and carefully drain away the liquid.
- Pour over the sauce and continue steaming for another 5 minutes or till meat is cooked.
- Drizzle on some sesame seed oil and immediately.
- Replace minced prawn with whole prawn sliced on the backed. Use half a prawn if it's too big.
- After adding the minced pork or chicken to the tofu, place the prawn on top of the meat. Remember to cut down the seasoning for the meat since you are using only minced meat without prawn.
- You can thicken the sauce with cornflour and pour it over the the dish instead of using it to re-steam the dish.
- Replace Step 7 onwards with the followings steps.
- Steam till meat is completely cooked.
- Drain away 2/3 of the liquid from the dish.
- While steaming the dish, combine 5 tablespoon of Stock or Water, 1 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce and 1/3 tablespoon of Chinese Cooking Wine and bring to a simmer.
- Thicken with Cornflour Mixture.
- Pour sauce over the dish and drizzle on sesame seed oil.
- Serve immediately.