AdSense

Monday, April 23, 2007

Hairy Gourd and Fish Ball Soup


This is another fast and easy dish I did when my kids were not well last week. My son didn't like the Hairy Gourd but he loved the soup which was a soup base brewed with ikan bilis. My daughter didn't want any food except fish balls so this was perfect for them.

If you are wondering what Hairy Gourd is. Well, my hubby called it 节瓜 but I call it 毛瓜. Hairy Gourd is actually both 节瓜 and 毛瓜. It looks like a cucumber inside and on the outside it's hairy and with a dark green skin.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ltr Ikan Bilis Broth
  • 1 Hairy Gourd, skinned, seeds removed and cut into smaller pieces
  • 8 Fish Balls or any amount you like
  • 5 g or 1/2 packet Glass noodles
  • Salt to taste
How to do it:
  1. Cook 3-4 handful of Ikan Bilis (江鱼仔)with 1200ml water.
  2. When it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 an hour or when the ikan Bilis turns opaque.
  3. Drain the broth.
  4. Soak glass noodle till it soften.
  5. Add the hairy gourd and glass noodle to the broth.
  6. Simmer for 1/2 to 1 hour depending on how soft you want the hairy gourd to be.
  7. Add fish balls 10 minutes before end of cooking time.
  8. Add salt to taste.
  9. Serve.

Note:
If you prefer to add glass noodles directly to the broth, remember to prepare more broth because glass noodles will soak up the broth.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Hi! Can I boil the ikan bilis stock first and freeze it for use later? Can I use slow cooker to boil the soup? Oh, is there a need to remove the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sorry, just to add. Apart from marrow green, you can also use Sharksfin Melon. Very yummy too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idy,
    I dont stock up ikan bilis broth bcos it quite fast to make it.
    I dont think it's necessary to use the slow cooker for this soup bcos it doesnt need a long time to get the flavour out. But you can if you like too.

    Oh, yes! Shark's fin Melon Soup is one of my son's favourite. Will post that next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opps, forgotten to add ... I removed the seed, otherwise I will have to pick them up for my kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wokking Mum

    Thanks for your replies! I am a working mum, by the time I reach home will be 7 pm. Hence, I usually prepare the ingredients and set timer for the slow cooker to boil the soup. I'll try this soup one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Idy,
    No problem! Glad to be of some help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wokking Mum, I tried this soup last night! Wah, very nice.... thanks for the wonderful and simple soup dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Idy,
    Your are very welcome. Glad you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunty, do you have to add a few slices of ginger to the soup as it is boiling? Hungry homesick boy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hungry Homesick Boy,
    First time someone address me as Aunty. :P Interesting. It sounded so like my age. Haha....

    You can add 1 or 2 slices of ginger if you like. I didn't as the fish balls I used was very fresh; without any fishy smell.

    ReplyDelete