This is another fast and easy dish I did when my kids were not well last week. My son didn't like the Hairy Gourd but he loved the soup which was a soup base brewed with ikan bilis. My daughter didn't want any food except fish balls so this was perfect for them.
If you are wondering what Hairy Gourd is. Well, my hubby called it 节瓜 but I call it 毛瓜. Hairy Gourd is actually both 节瓜 and 毛瓜. It looks like a cucumber inside and on the outside it's hairy and with a dark green skin.
- 1 ltr Ikan Bilis Broth
- 1 Hairy Gourd, skinned, seeds removed and cut into smaller pieces
- 8 Fish Balls or any amount you like
- 5 g or 1/2 packet Glass noodles
- Salt to taste
- Cook 3-4 handful of Ikan Bilis (江鱼仔）with 1200ml water.
- When it boils, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 an hour or when the ikan Bilis turns opaque.
- Drain the broth.
- Soak glass noodle till it soften.
- Add the hairy gourd and glass noodle to the broth.
- Simmer for 1/2 to 1 hour depending on how soft you want the hairy gourd to be.
- Add fish balls 10 minutes before end of cooking time.
- Add salt to taste.
If you prefer to add glass noodles directly to the broth, remember to prepare more broth because glass noodles will soak up the broth.