I love to eat cockles, clams, mussels, etc. I only cook them once a while because my family doesn’t really enjoy it. I have been having this craving for soft-shell clams lately. Every time I pass by this stall (the only stall) in the wet market selling clams, I would quickly walk pass it to stop myself for having a second look. Last Friday, I couldn’t resist the temptation and bought home 1 kg. We had it as supper.
- Soft-shell clams, soaked in salted water for them to ‘split out’ the sand and brushed to clean the dirt on the shells
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce (I use Hommaid Brand - Nyonya Crispy Prawn Chilli Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 egg
- Salt for tasting
- Oil for frying
- Corn flour with water (thickener)
How to do it:
- In a pot, stir-fry garlic in oil till fragrant.
- Add in the clams and stir fry till the shells open.
- Add in tomato, tomato sauce, chilli sauce and cooking wine.
- Let it simmer for about 7 minutes or till the clams are cooked.
- Add salt for tasting.
- Slowly stir-in the corn flour mixture.
- Now stir-in the beaten egg.
You might like to add more chilli if you are using sweet chilli sauce like Maggi Brand. I didn’t add water because you will get quite a bit of sauce when you stir-fry the clams. So water isn’t necessary.